The DAH Thrift Shop receives donations of gently-worn clothing and lightly used household goods, and sells them at a low cost to help families stretch their household budgets and to help families who are new to the area establish their homes. Families in need are also able to receive vouchers for thrift shop purchases in order to buy essential items.
The thrift shop also provides volunteer work experience to TANF clients in Fairfax and Arlington Counties and the City of Alexandria through the VIEW (Virginia Initiative for Employment, not Welfare) Program.
In the wake of COVID, The Thrift Shop will reopen for $2 Tuesday sales with the following guidelines in place:
- No more than five people (including staff) will be allowed in the store at any one time.
- Children will not be allowed in the store.
- Visitors may not bring their own bags into the store.
- A mask must be worn at all times.
- Visitors must use hand sanitizer upon arrival.
- Visitors must follow a one-way path through the store, and keep at least six feet of distance from others at all times.
- Any clothing that is tried on, but not purchased will be put in a basket, and sit for 24 hours before being returned to the rack.
- Visitors must stay behind the plexiglass shield and keep distance while paying.
- Payments should be made by credit or debit card when possible to limit the exchange of cash.
- Doorknobs and other commonly touched areas must be wiped with sanitizing wipes frequently throughout the day.